Our business is real estate, but our organization is so much more than bricks and mortar, beautiful buildings and well-managed properties. Our business is about people who need a place to call home and the people of Michaels who make it all happen.
Under the supervision of the Community Director, the Bookkeeper will provide operational support through management of all financial data for the project. He/she will be required to provide timely and accurate financial information to the Community Director, monitor accounting and operational compliance with all federal/state agencies, and comply with Michaels Management Services, Inc. (MMS) accounting policies and procedures. MMS emphasizes a team approach and fully expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
The responsibilities of the Bookkeeper will be to maintain all daily accounting functions to ensure the operations of the site is efficient. He/she will maintain accounting functions in the area of both Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. He/she will also be responsible for performing audits, either limited or detailed, at the direction of the Community Director. The Bookkeeper will be coordinating efforts with the corporate Controller on a monthly basis for the monthly closeout of the property.
Monthly Accounts Receivable Functions
1. Reconciliation of all Tenant Ledger Accounts to ensure accuracy is maintained at all times.
2. Processing of all move-in/move-out (MIMO) reports as well as promotion/demotion reports.
3. Properly bill all tenant charges such as rents, repairs and/or concessions.
4. Reconcile the Accounts Receivable balance between Delinquent and Prepaid Report to the ending balance in the accounting program.
5. Close out all Final Account Statements (FAS) for the month.
6. Close out all cash transactions on a daily basis.
7. Verify the BAH allotment receipts are uploaded correctly and balanced to the MAC Report.
8. Run all necessary Month End Reports required by the Community Director as part of the month end close.
9. Report all tenant related issues with back up to the Community Director so they can be properly addressed.
Monthly Accounts Payable Functions
1. Ensure all invoices received are entered on a daily basis and attached when payables are keyed so the approval process operates with high efficiency.
2. Responsible for contacting vendors to ensure all work or services provided is being billed timely so the property cash flow can be efficiently managed from the corporate office.
3. Obtain all required documents from vendors for new vendor setup.
4. Monitor and maintain updated Certificates of Insurance at the site level. No vendor is allowed to work on the property without an updated Certificate of Insurance on file.
1. Minimum of one year work experience in general bookkeeping; OR
2. Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field; OR
3. Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
2. Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
3. All specific certifications required by law.
4. Must successfully complete all required courses, classes, and training provided by MMS.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be able to pass a background investigation and drug test screening.
2. Advanced mathematical and analytical skills.
3. Proficient in all Microsoft Office Programs.
4. Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of accounting/bookkeeping principles and payables systems.
5. Must be able to read, write, and communicate effectively to comprehend and accurately complete financial records, documents and reports
6. Must be able to work as part of a team, as well as complete assignments independently.
7. Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
8. Perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
9. Prioritize and manage daily workload to ensure successful completion.
10. Take instructions from supervisors.
11. Exercise problem-solving skills.
12. Interact with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, residents, guests, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Working conditions will primarily be in an office setting. Site visits and external office visits may be necessary several times per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. On occasion, outdoor activities and physical labor may be required in conjunction with execution of community events. This position may be exposed to high stress situations. Some travel may be required, which may include the occasional overnight stay.