Our business is real estate, but our organization is so much more than bricks and mortar, beautiful buildings and well-managed properties. Our business is about people who need a place to call home and the people of Michaels who make it all happen.
The Groundskeeper assists the Maintenance Supervisor in maintaining the appearance of the community. This involves ensuring a safe, secure and presentable living environment for residents, visitors and staff. The Groundskeeper will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner, and in addition to the duties described herein, will perform other duties as requested. The Groundskeeper must provide exceptional customer service while maintaining the property.
1. Daily upkeep of the property buildings and grounds which includes cleaning and removing trash.
2. Responsible for the care, maintenance and inventory of supplies, equipment, and vehicles owned by the property and / or the management company.
3. Must be aware of the condition throughout the property and immediately initiate action to correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps and sidewalks, damaged storm drains and broken/burned out exterior lights.
4. Maintains uniform and presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times.
5. Operates within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and company safety policies at all times.
6. Assist in custodial work, including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning windows, etc., in common areas.
7. Assist make-ready staff with exterior sprucing of units as required and directed by the Maintenance Supervisor to meet deadlines.
8. Complete accurate records regarding daily work logs and work orders.
9. Report any maintenance or resident related concerns to manager and/or supervisor in a timely manner.
10. Periodically assists with the inspection of units, buildings, playgrounds, and common areas, performing repairs and janitorial assistance as needed. Make sure storage areas and entrances are locked and adequate lighting in those areas is maintained.
11. Attend and participate in training seminars as requested.
12. Ensure effective, timely and professional interactions with residents, maintenance staff, and property management team on all maintenance services provided.
13. Must be knowledgeable of inventory levels of spare parts and supplies and inform Maintenance Supervisor of shortages.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.
2. One year experience or training in the following areas: Lawn and garden care, use of pesticides and knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and methods used in parks and grounds maintenance.
3. One year experience in the use of outdoor grounds keeping tools, power equipment and machinery.
4. Proven knowledge and application of codes, laws, and regulations.
5. Must be able to pass background investigation and drug test screening.
1. High School Diploma or GED
2. Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
3. All specific certifications required by law.
4. Must successfully complete all required courses, classes, and training provided by MMS.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be able to work as part of a team, as well as complete assignments independently.
2. Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
3. Perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
4. Must be able to read and write legibly to complete required maintenance reports and requests, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, and respond to written instruction from staff and residents.
5. Prioritize and manage daily workload to ensure successful completion.
6. Take instructions from supervisors.
7. Exercise problem-solving skills.
8. Interact with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, residents, guests, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
9. Any employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
a. Hand Tools: Various wrenches, screwdriver, hammer, saws sledgehammer, etc.
b. Power Tools: Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
c. User-Moved Aids: Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, ladders, etc.
d. Mechanical Equipment: Lawn mowers, weed eaters, snow blowers, pressure washing equipment, etc.
1. Must be able to work 40 hours per week to include evenings, weekends and holidays if required for emergency situations. Occasional overtime hours may be required.
2. Working in a maintenance environment may result in occasional exposure to dust, fumes, solvents, and variable outside air temperature conditions and noise.
3. Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all conditions, often for extended periods.
4. Requires routine squatting, walking, and lifting of no more than 75lbs without assistance, with full range of motion.
5. Must be able and eligible to drive a company vehicle for completing resident service requests, picking up replacement parts and supplies from warehouses and vendors, and inspecting grounds.